Friday, January 13, 2012

He needs me to be his wife

This question is often asked,
What’s your favorite holiday?
Or for you which day of the week is the shit?

Never is it asked,
What is the one day in the year,
That you wish you could skip?

When asked about my holidays,
I sit and think over Christmas, New Years,
Thanksgiving and Halloween.

Veteran day and valentines day,
They even seem cool to me.

But then I realize the one day that I dread.
October 26,
That day sticks out in my head.

Defending my country, doing what I do…
When the Red Cross called my captain,
To tell me some bad news.

Is it my kids, oh my God what is wrong?
It couldn’t be Gary,
We just got off the phone.

Over to the Captains quarters,
I trot…almost ran.
Passing many officers,
I forgot to salute my hand.

Trying to stand in attention,
My heart is beating fast.
My body is shaking so badly,
I may just fall on my ass.

Gotta keep that military bearing,
Give that Captain his dues.
I couldn’t look him in his face,
I just stared at his shoes.

It was only about 20 seconds,
But it felt like a year.
He said “I have some news to tell you”
”That’s why I called you here”

He tells me he has gotten a call,
And Gary is dead.
Someone broke into our Florida home
And shot him in the head.

I have so many questions,
But I can’t say a word.
If I could be an animal,
I wish I could be a bird.

He releases me to go to my tent,
And gather up my things.
I’m trying to hold my composure,
But I keep looking at my ring.

He can’t be dead, he can’t be,
I need him in my life.
I need him to be my husband…
He needs me to be his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment